Monday, March 30, 2015

Upcycled Button Toothbrush Cup

 This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #NaturalGoodness #CollectiveBias

Hello friends!

April is Earth month, and it has me thinking. We have spent a lot of time trying to get as many chemicals out of our home as possible. I make our laundry detergent (link) and cleaning sprays. We use cloth diapers (most of the time), and I try to keep the kids' soaps and products as natural as possible. We're not perfect, but we try.

I've also been working on getting our home more organized. It seems like the first step to any organizing project is going out and buying some new storage item. Now, don't get me wrong, I love good storage, but I don't think that running out and buying something new needs to be the first step every time!

This was a great little project for Abbey. She got to make a project, and now she has more ownership over keeping her bathroom counter clean, because it's her work she is using!





Here is what you need for this fun little project:

  • an empty, clean tin can
  • buttons
  • craft adhesive of choice
That's it! Easy peasy!



We were using buttons of different sizes, so we started out gluing on the largest ones. Then we filled in the gaps, and added a few in a second layer on top. Disclaimer: We found a low-temp hot glue gun to be our best option. I was confident in Abbey's ability to use it, and she was never out of immediate supervision while we were working. You make the best decision for your child. :) If you would like a great idea for teaching kids to be safe with low-temp glue guns, Jackie over at Happy Hooligans has a great project for you!



I ran some hot glue along the bottom of the can, like a base. I'm hoping it will help keep the can from rusting if when it gets wet. It's a bit of an experiment, we'll see if it works!


Abbey was so excited to bring it into her bathroom and fill it up. Now her toothbrush and toothpaste have a place. This makes getting her bathroom picked up by herself that much simpler. Win!



Now, back to where we started. Chemicals, or the hopeful lack there of in my home. We have been using Tom's of Maine products in our house for years. It started when I learned about the risks of aluminum in deodorant and wanted to make a switch. 


From there I switched over my toothpaste, and I haven't looked back! I usually switch between the Whole Care and the Anti-Plaque and Whitening. The Whitening formula does a great job, if you ask me!


Abbey loves the Silly Strawberry toothpaste. She thinks it tastes great, and I love that it isn't full of weird ingredients and artificial sweetners (it has actual strawberry juice in it!).


I find all of these at Walmart, in the same section as the other toothpastes and deodorants. It is so nice to be able to get a more natural product without having to go to a specialty store!


Want to give Tom's of Maine a try? You can save a $1 at Walmart with this COUPON! Woot!
So, how about you?
Do you try to keep your products natural?
How do you help your kids stay organized?

Love your story today!
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like it? Share it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...